Google Online Marketing Challenge a Clever Recruiting Tactic
- New local advertisers (who they've been courting recently)
- Potential employees for their future search engine marketing division (part of DoubleClick)
Professors across the U.S. and the world have partnered with Google Inc. to introduce students to the world of online advertising and already 8,000 students are ready for the challenge.I humbly suggest that any students involved in the Google Online Marketing Challenge read the following article and blog posts:
The Google Online Marketing Challenge is a hands-on competition which will give undergraduate and post-graduate students direct experience with online advertising and marketing. Student groups will receive $200 to spend on Google AdWords™ advertising, working with a local business of their selection to devise effective online marketing campaigns. They will outline a strategy, run the campaign, assess their results, and provide the business with recommendations to further develop their online marketing.
- Local Search Advertising with Google AdWords
- Top 5 Ways Ignorant Advertisers Lose Money to Google via AdWords
- AdWords Flaw Could Cost Small Business Millions
- Professors divide students into groups, who then receive free online advertising vouchers for Google AdWords worth $200.
- The groups or professors recruit a small to medium sized business, under 100 employees, who have a website but don't currently use AdWords. Each group works with the business to set up an account and structure an online marketing campaign.
- During a 3 week competition window, the groups optimize and refine their campaigns. They will need to submit two competition reports – one before they begin and one after the campaign has ended. Entries are judged and winners chosen based on the success of their campaign and the quality of their reports.
The $200 figure is interesting. That's twice what we Qualified Google Advertising Professionals can offer new clients. Notice, too, that only small businesses that don't already use Google AdWords are eligible for this marketing challenge. That's a clever recruiting tactic on Google's part to leverage motivated students to broaden the Google local advertising base.
Apogee Tags: google online marketing challenge, adwords, doubleclick, local search, google advertising professionals, small business